Friday, December 30, 2011

Substitute Ingredients List

When I started in the baking world everything was sooo new to me and I couldnt get many of the ingredients in various recipes and Oh God I ended leaving them to the side because I had no one to explain; I didn't have anyone else close who already baked so I was lost. One day I came across a magazine, a very old one, that had a list of substitutes for many ingredients. When I didn't find something in the market I could easily substitute it for another ingredient and finish the recipe that my heart longed for....soooo here I simplified it a little and posted it for you.  I assure you that it will be helpful at some moment ;))

Ingredient  =  Substitute

  • Fresh whole milk  1 cup  =   1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1/2cup water
  • Mustard 1 Tbsp  =   1 tsp powder mustard
  • Tomato Juice  1 cup  =   1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1cup water     
  • Sugar 1 cup  =   1 cup honey
  • Honey 1 cup  =   1 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water
  • Baking Powder 1 Tsp  =  1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Buttermilk 1 cup  =    1 cup of milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice 
  • Semisweet chocolate 1onz  =   1onz unsweeted chocolate mixed 1tbsp sugar
  • Corn syrup 1 cup   =   1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water
  • Egg 1  =   2 eggwhites  or 2 yokes or 1/4cup egg subt.
  • Molasses  1 cup  =  1 cup honey
  • Granulated Sugar 1 cup  =  1cup brown sugar or 2 cups powdered sugar 
  • Cake flour 1 cup  =  1 cup minus 2 tbsp of All Purpose flour
  • Sour Cream 1 cup  =  1 cup evaporated milk plus 1 tbsp vinegar 
  • Pumpkin Spice 1 tsp  =  1/2tsp cinnamon 1/4tsp nutmeg and 1/8tsp ginger
  • Mascapone cheese 8onz  =  8onz regular cream cheese                                               
Hope you find it useful as much as I did! Happy Substituting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment